Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Trust me - they taste better than they sound! I like these because they don't turn out like cake the way many vegan brownie recipes do. Be sure to read the ingredients on the semi-sweet chocolate chips to avoid milk fat if you want to keep them vegan.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet rice flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegan butter, melted plus
- vegan butter, for greasing pans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat 1 cup water and 1/4 cup sweet rice flour in a saucepan until it forms a paste. Set aside to cool.
- Mix remaining cup of Sweet Rice Flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir in vanilla and melted vegan butter.
- Stir in sugar and Flour/water paste, then chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 9"x13" pan and bake approx 45min*.
- My oven is from the 1940's so it's always an adventure when it comes to baking times.
I used 1 cup honey instead of the 2 cups of sugars as well as brown rice flour. These were awesome, thanks so much for sharing!
These are really good, even for a non vegan wheat eater. One tip: you need to whisk the rice flour fast or it gets really lumpy! My first batch were filled with little gummy lumps as a result. But they were still delicious! Also, I used regular white rice flour, not sweet white rice flour, so I don't know if that made a difference.
I added dried cherries (which I rehydrated for juiciness) and roasted hazelnuts. I also used half raw caster sugar and half raw demerera. They were delicious. I was a bit worried when I saw the crispy top, but was delighted that the brownie had remained slightly fudgy in the middle. I cooked at 170 C in a fan assisted oven and reduced the cooking time by 5 mins. After removing from the oven and allowing to cool, I refrigerated overnight. They tasted even better the day after serving, so make lots to save! I'll definitely be making these again a.s.a.p!