Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from the magazine "Family Circle" all I did was make the appropriate adjustments. This is a MUST TRY. Really, it's fantastic.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
- 6 -8 teaspoons soymilk or 6 -8 water
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, toasted, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray; line bottom with waxed paper and spray again.
- In bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, clove cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In second bowl beat together apple sauce, sugars and shortening until combined. Beat in dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with soymilk/water. Beat two minutes.
- Divide batter between pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes until you can stick a toothpick in it an pull it out clean. Cool on rack for 12-15 minutes. Turn layers out and cool completely. Then Frost.
- In bowl beat shortening, margarine and extracts. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar the 6 tablespoons soymilk/water, add in soymilk/water as needed for consistancy.
- Spread the frosting on a layer of the cake, put the other layer on top, frost the tops and sides, then press walnuts onto the sides.
I'm happy with this cake. I reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and think it's plenty sweet enough. Reduced the fat to 1/2 cup, using 1/2 cup oil instead of margarine, and used 1/4 cup extra milk. Has a good spicy flavor. I baked mine in a bundt pan for about 50 minutes. Very nice cake.