Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oh so yummy! I tired this salad after going apple picking & it is now a favorite apple dish! This is a tasty, sweet and simply surprising salad pie that is perfect for fall. It comes from "Vegan Planet" by Robin Robertson. Enjoy! * I have also tried this recipe with macadamia nuts instead of walnuts and it was delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup dates, pitted & soaked in hot water to cover until soft
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 4 apples (sweet & or tart)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon another sweetener
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Drain the dates and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine 1 1/2 cups of the walnuts with the drained dates and process into a sticky paste. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a lightly oil 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Peel, core and shred the apples, or cut into very thin slices and place in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss to coat, to prevent discoloration. Drain any liquid from the apples, then add cranberries, celery scallions, soy mayonnaise, sugar and salt. Stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, then transfer to the prepared pie plate and spread over the crust. Press the apple mixture into the crust and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of walnuts on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours before serving. Cut into wedges and serve.