A recipe by TV chef Tim Mälzer-Germany's answer to Jamie Oliver as printed in the Fall 2005 edition of Essen und Trinken für Jeden Tag. We love the flavor of this dish! If you cannot find paprika paste or concentrate, substitute with tomato paste mixed with a teaspoon of regular (hot) paprika spice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini (substitute with either carrots or butternut squash)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika (not sweet hungarian)
- 2 tablespoons ajvar (or 2 tbs tomato paste for a milder goulash)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 250 g seitan or 250 g firm smoke flavored tofu
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Wash and chop the Bell Pepper and Zuchini into 1 cm. small cubes.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy stock pan or dutch oven. Saute Bell Pepper, Zuchini, Onions, and Garlic for four minutes or so. Add Paprika spice, Paprika concentrate and Caraway Seed and saute for approximately one minute.
- 3Add the vegetable broth and with salt, pepper, and sugar refine the taste.
- 4Cover and let it all simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile cube the Seiten (or Tofu) in 2 cm. pieces.
- 5Take the top off and add Seitan (or Tofu) pieces. Cook for another 10 minutes with the top off.
- 6After it is finished, garnish with cut up parsley.
- 7I usually serve this with whole grain bulgur or brown rice. And since we aren't vegan (I was for a year though) I use Creme Fraiche as a garnish as well.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Veggie Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: