Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is like a healthy homemade version of mac 'n cheese that is great for kids and adults and will look and taste appealing to both. It's not too hard to throw together and aside from soy is free of most common food allergens. (Warning: If you are not using vegan cheese like the recipe specifies this will not turn out the same)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice rotini pasta (I like Lundberg's pasta, their penne and macaroni work well too)
- 3 ounces vegan soy cheddar cheese (I prefer Vegan Gourmet, it melts well in this recipe)
- 2 cups zucchini
- 12 grape tomatoes (you can use a red slicer but I hate tomato "guts", the skins work better with this recipe anyways)
- 1 cup yellow onion
- olive oil
- In a small pan bring 3 or so cups of water to a boil (it is a good idea to gut veggies to preference while waiting for the water to heat, I hack the tomatoes into itsy bitsy pieces). Let olive oil heat in a sautee pan.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Add veggies to sautee pan, cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally then shred the soy cheddar over the veggies and mix in well. In 2-3 minutes the cheese should be almost liquid and should evenly coat all of the vegetables.
- Cook pasta to desired texture, strain, and place in bowls.
- Top pasta with cheese and veggies, mix together, serve hot. (A pinch of garlic salt is wonderful as well).
Great idea!! I'm wheat and dairy free, and this recipe is perfect. Thanks for posting!!