Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I strongly recommend to make this chili a day or up to 3 days ahead as the flavors will ripen and intensify, make this as spicy as you like by adjusting the chili flakes, the longer this cooks for the better it will be so don't be afraid to simmer for even 3 hours, and don't be skimpy with the garlic! :)
Top Review by Squirrelly71
This recipe is awesome. And very forgiving to my adjustments. First, I scaled the recipe down to half as much, which I think affected the amount of liquid (I ended up adding about three quarters of a cup of water, in quarter cup increments, at three different times during the simmering). Also, I substituted the portobellos with baby bellas (portobellos are more expensive and this girl is on a budget). The package of baby bellas was labeled as 24 ozs. The mushrooms were so meaty and delicious and I am NOT a vegetarian per se but it was very, very filling and satisfying. Be careful with the adding chili powder to taste because I think as the chili simmers the flavors will deepen (maybe this is an obvious thing to professional chefs; I am not one of those either). Lastly, I only simmered it for 2 hours because I couldnt wait to eat it... but it was perfectly fine. Thanks Kittencal!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 2 lbs portabella mushrooms, cut into 1-inch pieces (can use more)
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped (do not finely mince)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (can use more)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin
- 4 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (with juice)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat (or use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot).
- Add in onions, chili flakes, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and oregano; cook stirring for about 4 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and continue cooking for about 10-12 minutes more, stirring frequently (adding in the garlic, chili powder and cumin the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time).
- Add in the stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil stirring and adjusting the chili powder if needed adding in more to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour (do not cover or the sauce will become watery) stirring occasionally and seasoning with more salt if needed.
- After 1 hour of simmering add in the kidney beans with their juice and continue cooking stirring occasionally for 1 to 1-1/2 hours more seasoning with fresh ground black pepper about halfway through cooking (the longer you simmer the better!).