1/1 Photo of Vegan/Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Chili
2 hrs 20 mins
I strongly recommend to make this chili a day or up to 3 days ahead as the flavors will ripen and intensify, make this as spicy as you like by adjusting the chili flakes, the longer this cooks for the better it will be so don't be afraid to simmer for even 3 hours, and don't be skimpy with the garlic! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (or as needed)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 2 lbs portabella mushrooms, cut into 1-inch pieces (can use more)
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped (do not finely mince)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder (can use more)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin
- 4 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (with juice)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat (or use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot).
- 2Add in onions, chili flakes, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and oregano; cook stirring for about 4 minutes.
- 3Add in mushrooms and continue cooking for about 10-12 minutes more, stirring frequently (adding in the garlic, chili powder and cumin the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time).
- 4Add in the stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil stirring and adjusting the chili powder if needed adding in more to taste.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour (do not cover or the sauce will become watery) stirring occasionally and seasoning with more salt if needed.
- 6After 1 hour of simmering add in the kidney beans with their juice and continue cooking stirring occasionally for 1 to 1-1/2 hours more seasoning with fresh ground black pepper about halfway through cooking (the longer you simmer the better!).
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan/Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Chili
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 802.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: