Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This recipe is from member Woody Raine's profile which was featured in our February/March 2001 newsletter.
Browned Tofu (if including)
- 1 lb tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 1 -2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (or whole tomatoes and dice them)
- 6 -8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 stalks celery, sliced (optional)
- 1 -2 stalk broccoli, cut up (optional)
- 1 -2 potato, diced (depending on size) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup noodles or 1⁄2 cup spaghetti or 1⁄2 cup barley
- 15 ounces kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Browned Tofu (if including):.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Bake on an oiled cookie sheet for 15 minutes, turning the cubes after the first 10 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, add all ingredients.
- Turn on the heat, add oil, garlic, onion, zucchini, and carrots and saute until the onions are almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, water, broth or basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add optional vegetables, if using.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta or barley.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and tofu, if using.
- Serve when thoroughly heated.