Top Review by Lalaloula
OUTSTANDING recipe, Prose!!!! I made it as a treat for my sis for lunch today and was amazed at how quick and easy the cake (or muffins in my case) came together. In nearly no time I had these cute sweeties on the table and oh the taste! Very yummy vanilla flavour with just the right amount of sweetness. The lemon would surely have been a nice addition, but since Im allergic I left it out. The texture was very nice as well-cakey and moist. I subbed half applesauce for the oil and used vanilla oat milk to boost the vanilla flavour. This will be a staple in my house from now on. My sis has already requested it to be made soon again. :) THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #12 July 09.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole spelt flour (plus extra for dusting pan)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil (plus extra for oiling pan) or 1⁄3 cup coconut oil (plus extra for oiling pan)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup almond milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch cake pan and dust with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, syrup, zest, vanilla, and milk until completely combined and smooth.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just smooth. Do not overmix, which will make the cake tough. The batter should not be runny.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake on center rack of oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before delicately removing from pan. Cool completely before icing.