Lovely vegan and wheat-free (but not gluten-free) cake. Ice with Vanilla-Almond Tofu Cream, Decadent Chocolate Frosting or Mousse (Vegan) or unsweetened fruit spread. For 2 layers, double the recipe. From The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole spelt flour (plus extra for dusting pan)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil (plus extra for oiling pan) or 1⁄3 cup coconut oil (plus extra for oiling pan)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch cake pan and dust with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, syrup, zest, vanilla, and milk until completely combined and smooth.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just smooth. Do not overmix, which will make the cake tough. The batter should not be runny.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake on center rack of oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before delicately removing from pan. Cool completely before icing.
OUTSTANDING recipe, Prose!!!! I made it as a treat for my sis for lunch today and was amazed at how quick and easy the cake (or muffins in my case) came together. In nearly no time I had these cute sweeties on the table and oh the taste! Very yummy vanilla flavour with just the right amount of sweetness. The lemon would surely have been a nice addition, but since Im allergic I left it out. The texture was very nice as well-cakey and moist. I subbed half applesauce for the oil and used vanilla oat milk to boost the vanilla flavour. This will be a staple in my house from now on. My sis has already requested it to be made soon again. :) THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #12 July 09.
Loved this cake! So quick and simple. I used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of a liquid sweetener, and I baked it in a 9x13 pan for 20 minutes. It came out moist and fluffy. I made a lemon icing to match the lemon zest in the cake. Awesome!!!
I'm giving this 3 stars for the healthy ingredients (maple syrup, spelt flour etc), however the cake itself was not anything that could pass off with your 'average joe'. Very dry and heavy. Intended on using it as a birthday cake (not a big fan of sugary treats) but will continue to search for another recipe.