Prep 4 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a light fluffy custard. You could also use 2 egg replacers in place of the banana.
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Whisk cornstarch, sugar, and salt together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add milk and egg replacer or banana and whisk until lumps disappear.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking, until the custard thickens.
- To test whether the custard is thick enough, dip a wooden spoon into the mixture and run your finger through the coating.
- When the custard is thick enough, the trail will not close back up.
- Take the custard off heat. Whisk in butter, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Cool with a plastic sheet pressed to the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Bon Appetit!
Hmm, this recipe calls for butter, so it's clearly not vegan. Maybe I'll try it with a vegan butter substitute.