1/1 Photo of Vegan Unrolled Cabbage Rolls
From Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak. This is a tasty, simple and hearty dish. I didn't have quick cooking brown rice and just used cooked brown rice instead- about a cup and a half- and it turned out just fine. I also doubled the tomato sauce because I wanted to use it up and it was delicious. You can definately play with this recipe. I may add some ground not meat next time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking brown rice (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar (or other sweetner of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1Place the oil in a 41/2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and heat it over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute them for 10 minutes.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid and simmer the mixture for 30 to 35 minutes. Do not stir or lift the lid until the total cooking time has elapsed.
- 4Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture rest, covered, for 5 minutes,.
- 5Stir to mix well and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Unrolled Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.2
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 640.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
quick-cooking brown rice