Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak. This is a tasty, simple and hearty dish. I didn't have quick cooking brown rice and just used cooked brown rice instead- about a cup and a half- and it turned out just fine. I also doubled the tomato sauce because I wanted to use it up and it was delicious. You can definately play with this recipe. I may add some ground not meat next time.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking brown rice (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar (or other sweetner of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- Place the oil in a 41/2 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, and heat it over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute them for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid and simmer the mixture for 30 to 35 minutes. Do not stir or lift the lid until the total cooking time has elapsed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture rest, covered, for 5 minutes,.
- Stir to mix well and serve hot.
This came out awful for me but I'm not going to give it stars since it was my fault it was awful and I wanted to share some tips for anyone else planning to make this!
I used regular (not quick cook) uncooked rice and allowed the rice to cook in the pot. It took about an hour for the rice to be semi-cooked and in the meantime I had to keep adding more water to help it along. This diluted the spices, tomato sauce, etc. each time so I ended up using huge amounts of ingredients. The rice still never quite cooked and it came out terribly bland.
Again, this disaster was my fault- so use quick cooking rice or pre-cook the rice ahead of time!
As per AJO's advice, I used extra tomato sauce as well as cooked brown rice. Nice dish, but I did add quite a bit of extra seasoning at the end and if I were to make it again I wouldn't add the sugar. Made for Veg*n tag #2 September 2008, team Banana.