Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I had some extra fresh mint on hand, and decided to throw this together for our New Year's party! Be sure to really press and squeeze the excess water out of your cucumber shreds so you dip stays thick, and does not become watery. I drained mine in a mesh colander and then, used my hands, but you can also use a clean tea towel or cheesecloth to squeeze out the water. Make this in the morning and let it chill all day, or overnight, for best results. Cooking time is chill time.
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, shredded
- 12 ounces vegan sour cream, I use Tofutti non-hydrogenated brand
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 -3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred cucumber on a box grater, sprinkle with a bit of salt, then place in a mesh colander to drag while you prepare the rest.
- Whisk together the vinegar, garlic, and olive oil.
- Fold in vegan sour cream, lemon zest and mint.
- Press cucumber against the strainer to get out some of the moisture, and then give it a good squeeze with you hands.
- Separate shreds, and fold into sour cream.
- Cover and let chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve as a dip for vegetables and pita chips, or as a topping for falafel!