Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I first tasted a Three Milk Cake when I purchased a piece from my local Co-operative. It was delicious, but because it had so much dairy in it I don't eat it now. However, I did come across a vegan recipe from http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=987 and I may just give this one a try. If you can't find the non-dairy whipping cream you can make your own by using coconut whipping cream which is Coconut Whipped Cream or soy whipped topping which is Vegan "whipped Cream" You can also top this cake with Vegan Whipped Cream, fruit and/or berries.
For the cake
- 1 3⁄4 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup Earth Balance whipped spread
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 2⁄3 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (unfiltered)
For the milk mixture
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 2 cups vegan non-dairy whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan. Line the pan with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate smaller bowl whisk salt, margarine, sugar, water, vanilla and vinegar until blended.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisking till smooth. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove the cake and allow it to cool. Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally so that it forms two thin layers and put the bottom half of the cake back into the cake pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream of coconut and coconut milk together until they form the consistency of condensed milk. Add more of each if necessary.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut mixture, soy milk, and non dairy whipping cream until smooth.
- Add the lime juice if desired. Stirring occasionally, bring the milk mixture to a boil.
- (The milk mixture has to reach a full boil prior to pouring it over the cake; otherwise it won't soak into the cake layer).
- Using a small cup or pitcher, pour the hot milk mixture over the bottom half layer of the cake, press with a spatula until all the milk has been absorbed.
- Add a little more milk. Replace the top layer of the cake and pour more milk mixture over the top layer of the cake, press with a spatuala until all the milk is absorbed.
- Let the milk mixture soak into the cake for at least 30 minutes. After the cake has cooked, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- At this point you can add a non-vegan whipped topping and berries if you wish.
- Bon Appetit!
In the ingredient list there is no mention of non dairy whipping cream, yet it's in the instructions, so while I was making the cake I noticed I didnt have everything I needed. It is in the oven now, so we will see how it turns out........ I bought a can of coconut milk in the international isle of the store, which isnt the same as cream of coconut, but is still somewhat creamy, just not as sweet (I added a tad of vegan sugar). Since I didnt have the non dairy whipping cream that the instructions call for, I just used that whole can (13.5 oz). It turned out pretty good.