1/5 Photos of Vegan Tomato-Rosemary Scones (With Gluten-Free Option)
I got hooked on these at my local Whole Foods bakery and then was ecstatic to find the recipe in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book, Vegan Brunch. The best part is that I can now make them gluten free for my husband! I hope you enjoy these savory scones as much as we do. They're divine with some melty Earth Balance Buttery Spread or Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (OR Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour plus 1 teaspoon xantham gum)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (about 4 sprigs)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 3In another bowl, combine wet ingredients and rosemary.
- 4Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Gently mix with a wooden spoon.
- 5When the batter is loosely holding together, turn it onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead until a soft dough forms. DO NOT overmix. Some patches of flour are good. Add a little extra flour if the dough seems sticky. Divide dough in two and form each section into a 6-inch disk. Slice each disk into six pieces (cut in half and then cut each half into thirds). OR if you are lazy like me and don't need your scones to be pretty, you can just scoop the dough into 8-12 mounds on the cookie sheet (like drop biscuits).
- 6Place scones on the baking sheet and bake 14-16 minutes or until the tops are firm. Remove and let cool a bit on plate or cooling rack. Serve either warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Tomato-Rosemary Scones (With Gluten-Free Option)
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.7
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 454.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g