Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Once again, a fantastic recipe from the Chicago Diner cook book. Is there anything they can't do? I did alter this a bit from the original and found it to have a lot more flavor. This is a great comfort food kind of meal, excellect on cold days with mashed potatoes and a dinner roll... or three. PS, the more spices and veggies you add, the better! Here's a great recipe for vegan gravy.. http://www.recipezaar.com/244337
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 carrots, quartered lenghtwise and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, quartered lenghtwise and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the 1 tbsp of canola oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the rest of the vegetables and stir well for 5-10 minutes until the begin to soften. Take off the heat.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, 1/3 c oil and seasonings until well blended. It will resemble and thick paste.
- Grease the inside of a loaf pan with a bit of oil.
- In a bowl, fold the vegetables into the tofu mixture. When well combined, scoop into the loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Place loaf in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, until tofu has puffed up and starts turning golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes and cut into 6 slices.
- Serve with vegan gravy and tasty sides.
It was great and it is true, the more spices you add, the better!