Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got the idea for this from a post I saw on Vegweb to give credit where it is due-- but mine changes the proportions as well as the ingredients significantly. If you don't have a 3/8 or 1/8 measuring cup, just use the 1/2 cup one and fill it up to 1/2" from the top with quinoa-- 1/2 cup will be too much, needs to yield 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa and it quadruples in size when cooked. This is a nice change of pace from lentil and bean burgers.
- 17 ounces package firm tofu
- 3⁄8 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash marjoram
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- Cook the quinoa by first removing the saponin-- put it into a deep bowl and pour water cold water over it. Whisk heavily with a whisk or fork until a soapy residue rises to the top, then strain in a fine-mesh colander and rinse again. This step is VERY important for those unfamiliar in cooking quinoa!
- Boil 1 1/2 cups water in a pot with a dash of salt. Add the olive oil, dill, black pepper, and marjoram (just a few shakes) and let it impart in the water for a few seconds, then add the washed quinoa. Loosely cover the pot and let cook for 15-20 minutes or until all nicely fluffed up.
- Let the quinoa stand for a minute then fluff with a fork. You may want to wait for it to cool off before handling it.
- Drain all the water out of the tofu pack and dry it out on the stovetop or microwave, but not thoroughly as though you are baking, grilling, or frying it-- retain some of the natural liquid inside.
- Mush up the tofu by hand or with a potato masher.
- Place the tofu, quinoa, and the BINDER ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Form 6 patties.
- Brush about 1 tsp olive oil onto a cookie sheet and place the patties on it. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler for 1 minute, then serve and enjoy!