1/1 Photo of Vegan Tiramisu
1 hr 10 mins
kitsch kitchen's Note:
As a near vegan, I have been deprived of Tiramisu for far too long. This recipe was a wonderful treat and met my expectations for something as close to the real thing as you can get. My non-vegan friends were impressed too! Making your own ladyfingers makes it a more time consuming recipe, but worth it. I got the recipe from Wholefoods recipes online: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=2049 Note to non-vegans: When preparing vegan desserts for others, be sure to use organic sugar, beet sugar etc. (as regular sugar undergoes a process using bone char).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup soymilk, rice milk or 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups soy cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups soy sour cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee or 2 cups espresso, cooled to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1/4 cup fine-quality bittersweet chocolate shavings (made with a vegetable peeler) or 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1To make the ladyfingers, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside. In the bowl of a standing mixer fit with the paddle attachment, cream together margarine and sugar until fluffy. Stir in maple syrup. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined, alternating with additions of milk. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- 3On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 1-inch balls then roll each ball into a 2-inch-long stick. Arrange on prepared baking sheets, leaving a few inches of room between each ladyfinger. Bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are firm and just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets for about 1 minute. When firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4To make the tiramisu, in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment or with a handheld mixer, beat together cream cheese, sour cream and powdered sugar. Stir together coffee and Marsala in a shallow bowl. Dip a ladyfinger in coffee mixture, soaking it about 4 to 5 seconds on each side then transfer to a 5- x 9-inch glass baking dish. Repeat with 8 more ladyfingers, arranging them in the bottom of dish.
- 5Spread half of the cream cheese-sour cream mixture evenly over ladyfingers. Make another layer in the same manner with remaining ladyfingers and cream cheese-sour cream mixture. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour then sprinkle with chocolate and serve.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Tiramisu
Serving Size: 1 (1436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.6
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 232.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 39.7 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soy cream cheese
soy sour cream