Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
I adapted this recipe from the Gluten-free Goddess. We like a lot of heat in this house, so I used 2 chills and left in the seeds. You can modify by using only one, or by scraping out the seeds, or by omitting the chili altogether. This is a hearty and rich soup and it is free of gluten and sugar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 chili, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree, I make my own from fresh pumpkin
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 small lime, juiced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir-fry just until translucent - about 6 minutes.
- Add the chili, garlic and spices. Stir-fry another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, pumpkin puree and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Squeeze lime juice into the soup and sprinkle the cilantro leaves over all.
- Serve immediately.