Recipe by Jes-cooks
One of my all time favorite vegan meals. I love it, as does everyone I make it for (even meat eaters!)
- 1 white onions or 1 sweet onion, cut in thin strips
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup of hulled sesame seeds (without the shell)
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce (Trader Joes has AMAZING teriyaki)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tofu block into small square pieces, about a half inch in size (no need to measure, just eye it out).
- Place all the pieces into a big zip-loc bag, and pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce in the bag. Try and squeeze out all of the air in the bag before you zip it. Allow the tofu to rest in the bag for about 20 minutes.
- While the tofu rests, heat a skillet to low heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and the rest of the teriyaki sauce. Keep moving it about with a spatula, to keep it from browning. Sauté for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Finally pour the tofu from the zip-loc into the skillet. Stir all ingredients about for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn the burner off after 10 minutes. Before removing the skillet from the burner, add the sesame seeds and mix them around.
- Remove, plate, enjoy! (Makes a great entreé or side dish).