Recipe by VegBear
This batter is delicious, so fluffy. Mushrooms, sweet potatoes, broccoli, tempeh . . . everything tastes good in it. I used it to batter tempeh for a sweet and sour dish.
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups ice cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons japanese ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white flour (For pre-batter covering of vegetables)
- oil, to cover 2-3 inches in a wok
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare your vegetables, cut into fair size.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a wok to 375°F, you will know because a wooden spoon dipped in the oil will sizzle.
- Add just enough water to the batter so it's relatively thick but not too watery, you don't want to mix this into a smooth cream, you want it really chunky to add to the final texture.
- Coat the vegetable pieces in flour, then dip into the batter, you want to ensure it is covered completely or oil will leak in and make it extremely greasy.
- Deep fry in batches, until lightly golden brown and crispy (about 2-4 mins).
- Drain and remove onto a plate with some kitchen paper.