Recipe by angelreed
Found this recipe on VeganWolf.com. Makes the equivalent of two 14 oz cans. Haven't tried it yet, but it could open up a world of options for vegan cooking. Posting for safe keeping.
Top Review by Melody Kay
Beware! Based on other recipes I was reviewing for Sweetened Condensed Milk, I didn't think this would work very well. So I went to veganwolf.com to check the original recipe. You don't use 3 cups of soy milk. You use 3/4 C water, and the same amount of powdered soy milk you would use to make 3 cups of soy milk. I ended up making another recipe entirely, but thought I'd pass this info along. Happy cooking!
- Place the soy milk into a heavy-based saucepan.
- Heat to boiling.
- Heat the margarine in a separate pan. Add the sugar and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the hot milk mixture when the sugar has dissolved.
- Add a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Continue to boil gently, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes, or until it thickens a little.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool. The vegan condensed milk is now ready for use as wished.