Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an amazing little recipe from "The Tofu Book: New American Cuisine" by John Paino and Lisa Messinger. I vary it slightly by using vegan margarine instead of oil and topping it with nuts and vegan marshmallows. A fabulous treat that's good for you : ) !
- 1 lb soft tofu
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or 4 medium yams
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (I use Soy Garden)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (try to use fresh!)
- chopped pecans
- vegan marshmallows
- Scrub sweet potatoes/yams and cook until tender. (I microwave mine on high for about 10 minutes, or until a fork goes in easily.) Let sit until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut into small chunks.
- Place cooked sweet potatoes/yams into a blender or food processor, along with all other ingredients. Process until smooth.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with pecans/marshmallows, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes until heated through.
Will admit that I changed a few things around ~ I didn't peel or mash the potatoes but rather diced them small before steaming! I also left off the marshmallow topping & instead combined 1/2 a cup of pecans with some homemade, chunky cranberry sauce & used that on top ~ I wasn't going vegan so much as vegetarian! Very, very nice tasting side dish, this! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick A Chef]
I topped this with shredded coconut which toasted up nicely in the oven. I had it in my head that because there was tofu, it would be a good main dish. Nah, it's a side dish, much like sweet potato pie. Only with a blast of protein! Made for My 3 Chefs 6/08.