Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is a family favorite. I'm the only vegan in my family, but I always have this requested for holidays and birthdays alike. It's really almost like a sweet potato cheesecake filling. I've found that fresh sweet potatoes result in a highly superior product than with canned sweet potatoes. If you love pumpkin pie or sweet potatoes give this recipe a try- trust me one bit and you'll be hooked!
- 5 -6 medium sweet potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed (preferably ruby)
- 1 (8 ounce) package firm silken tofu
- 8 ounces tofutti better-than-cream-cheese (1 container)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- For filling, combine sweet potatoes and silken tofu in blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add rest of filling ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour filling into 8x13 greased baking dish.
- For topping, in a separate bowl combine flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in soy margarine with a pastry blender/fork until reaches crumbly consistency. Add pecans to crumble.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes (if topping starts to get too dark, cover with aluminum foil).
- Let cool to room temperature for best consistency.
What a delicious recipe! I roasted the sweet potatoes for ~ 2 hours (Recipe #275256), which makes them very sweet. I used just over 1/2 cup turbinado sugar in place of the brown sugar. I omitted the margarine in the filling. For the topping, I splurged and used 4 tablespoons of butter and cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. Everyone raved about this dish and said how silky smooth the filling was. I thought it was fantastic and I can't wait to eat the leftovers for dinner tonight.
We had this at Thanksgiving. Everyone, vegan or not raved about it. We're doing it again for Christmas.
Interesting idea, but the end result is nothing resemblent of a traditional souffle. As a souffle, I can't give it a high rating.