Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Pie! All it needs is some Tofutti Bella Vanilla "ice cream" and you're good to go!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons shortening (just check that it's veggie/vegan safe)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 teaspoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons Sweet 'n Low or 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 dash salt
- 5 cups thinly sliced apples, tart are good
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, i like earth balance
- Crust: (makes 8in pie with 2 crusts) Put flour in a bowl; cut the shortening into it until it's all evenly distributed and size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water; I started w 5t but ended up using closer to 9t.
- Moisten and get it doughy.
- Make a ball out of it and then divide it in half.
- Shape into flattened round on lightly floured flat table or cloth covered board.
- Roll it out 2 inches larger than upsidedown pie plate with a rolling pin.
- Fold into quarters and gently ease into pie tin then unfold.
- For the two crust pie, you trim the overhanging edge 1/2 in from rim.
- Put filling in.
- Roll the other round and cut slits so steam can get out, and put on top of filling.
- Press on the rim to seal, and then use your fork to press the edges well and make it decorative too.
- Cover edge with aluminum foil, 2-3 in wide strip to keep the crust from burning.
- Remove it for the last 15min of baking.
- FILLING: 8inch Heat oven to 425F.
- Prepare pasty crust.
- Mix sweet'nlow, flour, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Stir in apples.
- Turn into pie plate, dot with your choice of margarine/vegan butter etc.
- Cover with your top crust (you can also do lattice if you know how).
- Don't forget to put the foil on the edges to keep from burning.
- Bake til crust is brown and it gets juicy inside.
- Using SweetNlow keeps it from getting as juicy as with sugar though, be forewarned, and you may want to use 6cups of apples as there is still a bit of room in the pie.
- Takes about 1 hour in my over, your mileage may vary.
- POINTS: 74 for the whole pie,@9/slice if you do 8 servings.
- (I just don't eat the crust, myself, to keep the points down.).