Recipe by White Rose Child
The luxuriant taste of sunseeds in these cookies will make you forget that peanut butter cookies ever existed! (Well, temporarily...) **Please note, I have put peanut butter in the ingredients list because the fat & overall calories will be more accurate, for those who need to know nutrition facts ;) These are so healthy and simple. It's a recipe I modified from one of Dreena Burton's in "Vive le Vegan." Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached (or light spelt flour, which I love!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter (available in the natural foods section of supermarkets, or at specialty health-food stores) or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sunflower seed butter (available in the natural foods section of supermarkets, or at specialty health-food stores)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons water, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift together the ingredients from flour through salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sunflower seed butter and all other ingredients, and whisk well. Add to the dry ingredients, and stir 'em up.
- Spoon the batter in roughly circular blobs (heehee) onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. (They flatten quite a bit!) Mark them with a fork that's been dipped in icewater after each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, just till nice and golden on the bottom.
- After they rest on the sheet for a couple minutes, remove to a cooling rack. But they're good warm or cold ;).
- Finally: these would be AMAZING with semi-sweet chocolate chips or dried cherries. Let me know if you try that!