Recipe by White Rose Child
I got this and modified slightly from VegWeb. Proof that you don't need butter or shortening to make good sugar cookies! These are really easy & yummy. I used an icing similar to Sugar Cookie Icing to stick the sprinkles on.You have fun two ways from cut-out cookies: decorating, and eating :-)
Top Review by momentaralee
These were great. I substituted coconut oil for the canola and used a touch bit less sugar and they were still great. I didn't cook them for the full ten minutes, more like 5-7 and they came out nice and soft.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 2 cups white flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar, preferably vegan
- 1⁄2 cup white flour (for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 3 -4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together pastry flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil and vanilla together until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to mix. Then knead them into a dough. You may have to add some more flour or some of the white flour, to make it dry enough to roll out properly. (A bit sticky, of course, but not wet.)
- Start preheating the oven, 300-350 degrees depending on the heat of your oven- ours is quite hot so I use a slightly lower temperature.
- Roll out the dough (around 1/4 inches thickness) and grab some cookie cutters!
- Bake on a nonstick or lightly oiled pan for about 10 minutes, till just barely golden brown on the bottom edges. They will be kinda crunchy if you bake them too much longer.