1/1 Photo of Vegan Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms.
These stuffed mushrooms caps were a big hit not only among my vegan friends, but among the non-vegetarians. The recipe calls for ground almonds, but you can substitute with the mix of wheat germ and nutritional yeast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 granny smith apples, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 0.5 (15 ounce) package firm tofu, shredded
- 7 cremini mushrooms (or regular white button)
- 1 cup blanched almond
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup cauliflower floret (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Grind the almonds in the blender/food processor to create fine mix.
- 3Quarter the Cremini mushrooms. If they are too big cut them in 8.
- 4Cut zucchinis in half, and scrape out the pulp (use the spoon). Reserve the shells - you can stuff them and bake with the mushrooms.
- 5If using cauliflower, cut the florets in small pieces.
- 6Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil on the medium-high heat in a frying pan, add garlic, ginger, mushrooms and fry for 7-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms loose most of the liquid.
- 7Lower the heat to medium and add carrots, apples, zucchinis, cauliflower, mix well and let fry for 5-7 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- 8Add spices, tofu, and Tamari. Keep mixing until the tofu is thoroughly warm.
- 9Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- 10Add the almonds and stir the mixture. Now it should be easier to work with the filling.
- 11Let the filling cool; meanwhile cut the stems of the Portobellos and scrape of the gills (spoon works the best for this).
- 12Lightly oil the baking pan with the remaining olive oil.
- 13Stuff the Portobello cups and the zucchini shells with the stuffing, be generous :) Put them on the baking sheet and start the timer.
- 14The mushrooms come out best after 20-25 minutes of baking. Zucchinis would take as long as 40 minutes of baking.
- 15You could add some shredded vegan cheddar on top during the last 5 minutes of baking.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms.
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.4
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1059.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence