Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my favourites from childhood, veganized! If you can find jumbo shells made from whole wheat even better
- 2 cups low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 300 g low-fat firm silken tofu (such as Mori-Nu)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 16 jumbo pasta shells, cooked halfway and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, onion powder, oregano, basil, thyme, paprika, black pepper and sea salt.
- Spread half the sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mash the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, basil, onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic until the consistency of ricotta or cottage cheese. Fold in the spinach until well combined.
- Spoon even amounts of filling (about 1 ½ - 2 tbsp) filling into each pasta shell.
- Arrange shells in the casserole dish and pour the remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake a further 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.