Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups apple juice
- 3 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
- 24 ounces extra-firm silken tofu (2 packages)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil (mild)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup brown rice syrup or 1 cup maple syrup, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen sliced
- In a small saucepan, place the apple juice and agar-agar flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes to thoroughly dissolve the agar-agar flakes.
- In a food processor, process the tofu and vegetable oil for 2 minutes to form a smooth puree.
- Add the dissolved agar-agar, soy milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and process for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add additional sweetener or vanilla, if desired.
- Add the strawberries and pulse the food processor 3 times.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- (Or, if you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a large shallow pan, and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every hour or so to give it a smooth texture. When completely frozen, remove it from the freezer, and allow it to sit at room temperature).