Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this off of Vegetarian Cooking School! Yummy! It's all in English measurements though!
Ingredients for sponge
- 250 ml soya milk
- 100 ml water
- 200 g dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 115 g vegan margarine
- 115 g soft brown sugar
- 200 g white self raising flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for toffee sauce
- 100 g golden syrup
- 200 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g vegan margarine
- 100 ml soya cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a 20cmx 20cm shallow cake tin with baking parchment.
- Chop the dates in half and put them in a small saucepan; cover with the soya milk and water. Simmer until the dates are soft.
- Take off the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda which will froth as you add it to the date mixture. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the date mixture and stir.
- Mix the spices into the flour. Sieve the flour and fold into the sponge mixture.
- Spoon the sponge mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cooked and the sponge bounces back when pressed.
- To make the sauce: melt the syrup, margarine, sugar and vanilla essence in a small saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes without stirring. Leave to cool slightly and then stir in the soya cream.
- Prick the pudding all over and pour half the hot toffee sauce over the pudding. Serve the rest of the sauce with the pudding and if you like, a scoop of vanilla soya ice cream.