Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Adapted from the Isa Chandra Moskowitz original.
Make and share this Vegan Spanakopita recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Oil the cookie sheet or use parchment paper to line the pan.
- Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away. Set aside and let cool.
- Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. Place in bowl and use whisk (or your hands) to mash it.
- Take the cooled spinach mixture and squeeze as much liquid out as you can.
- Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg, walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Lay down a sheet of phyllo pastry and brush with oil. Place another sheet on top and brush it with oil.
- Cut this phyllo into four strips. Place filling on the bottom right of the strip and fold the pastry across to form a triangle. Keep folding until you can't fold anymore and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.