Recipe by Colleen Marie
I was hunting around for SPAM and Tofu Musubi recipes and decided to give this a try. Surprisingly enough, the vegan SPAM almost tastes like the real thing!
- 1 cup dried soybeans
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop celery and onion.
- Place dried soybeans in a blender and pulse several times until they are pulverized to a powder. Add all other ingredients except the cornmeal.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place everything in a bowl and stir in cornmeal until completely mixed.
- Oil two 14.5 oz. cleaned cans (from canned foods). Put half of the mixture into each. Cover with foil, secure with rubber bands.
- Place the cans into a Dutch oven or large pot and fill with water so they are 1/3 of the way submerged.
- Bring the water to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer, steaming the SPAM for approximately two hours.
- Remove cans from pot and cool. Using a can opener remove the other side of the can and push SPAM through. Slice, season and enjoy!