Recipe by RussianMama
This is a nice change from the typical burger or parmesan topped spaghetti sauce. Easy, tasty and the kids like it! I also like that it is a one dish meal. You can use any small pasta in place of the wheat. I use home canned tomato puree but you can replace that with two 28 ounce cans of tomato sauce and 2 cups of water. Serve on top or on the side with frozen corn that is steamed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 quarts tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 T of the oil in large pot to medium heat.
- Add onions, zucchini and bell peppers. Saute until starting to soften.
- Add the frozen spinach. Cook until defrosted.
- Add remaining olive oil, puree, salt and italian seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the dried pasta. Stir well, cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked how you like it. Serve!