Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan".
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large pickle, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash salt
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the oil, onion, garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper until you reach the desired consistancy.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the textures vegetable protein and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onions in oil on medium-high heat until translucent.
- Lower heat to medium and add the peppers, tomatoes, picles, Braggs, chili powder, cayenne, allspice, salt, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add textured vegetable protein to saucepan and stir together.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for another 20-30 minutes and serve over toast or on a bun.
This recipe is fantastic! I have made these sloppy joes a couple of times, and they were loved by vegans and omnivores alike. I made the recipe as written.