Recipe by Mirj
Needs lots of napkins!
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Well, this didn't taste at all like a traditional sloppy joe (I've made them before with brown veggie crumbles and a mix), but we both liked this, thank you:) I used a lite firm tofu packed in water, and forgot to buy a green pepper. I was afraid my BF would be put off by the color (he WAS recently put off by a yellow tomato sauce I had made), but he didn't mind it at all! I think it was the chili sauce that made it taste different, not really the tofu. Anyway, we love tofu and ate this with a fork. Thanks for a different kind of sloppy joe!
- 2 (1/8-1/4 cup) tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 lb firm tofu, patted dry and mashed
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the margarine or water in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and green pepper, and sautè or boil until the vegetables are well cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed tofu and sautè for another 15 minutes, until the tofu is completely cooked.
- Add the ketchup, chili sauce, salt, and pepper and continue to cook over low heat until the mixture is heated through.
- Add a little water if the mixture is too dry.
- Spoon onto lightly toasted burger buns.