Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions and pepper for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over hamburger rolls.
We really enjoyed these! I omitted the green peppers since I didn't have any and threw in a little extra onion. I also added garlic powder, season salt, oregano, and extra water. DH liked them, too! Served them in pita bread with lettuce and tomatoes. Thanks so much for sharing. Next time I'll double the recipe! :O)
This was great!! My boyfriend and I were absolutely amazed that it tasted so good and I thought it tasted just like the sloppy joes my mom used to make for me when I was growing up! And what makes it better is how easy it was to make! There was virtually no prep time and you don't have to pay that close attention to it while its simmering. Of course I did make a few minor adjustments...I didn't use the onions or peppers in this because I didn't have them so I used dried onion flakes and pepper flakes (the stuff that you put on a pizza). Also, I added various spices such as oregano, garlic powder, and an organic all purpose seasoning. What I think made it taste more like mom's, though, was the sloppy joes seasoning packet I had lying around and used. Anyways, it was great!! And I'm glad that we had the leftovers too because they taste just as great as the fresh made!!