Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple and delicious sandwich. It is inexpensive and heart healthy, this is Chef Deborah's recipe from Vegsource.
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons vegetarian beef bouillon powder (Frontier, Harvest Direct, etc)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (15 ounce) can Manwich sloppy joe mix (I used GV brand)
- 4 -5 hamburger buns
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add bouillon, sugar, Liquid Smoke (opt), and 1 tsp oil.
- Add TVP, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Heat 2 tsps oil in a frying pan.
- Add TVP, and saute` until lightly browned.
- Cool completely in fridge.
- Pack into ziplock freezer bags, and freeze.
- Be sure to freeze them flat.
- As soon as they are frozen, break the flat blocks into smaller pieces.
- Keep them in the freezer, and take out as much or as little as needed.
- Place 1/2 of above mixture back in frying pan, add sloppy joe mix and mustard.
- Cook over medium 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve on buns.
This recipe was fantastic! I used 1/4 package stevia for the sugar. Then I used this recipe to make BBQ Sloppy Joe Bake by Denise. It was so good, my DH didn't even ask if it was meat or not. I will use this as a base for other recipes , also, maybe chili, or other casseroles. It made just enough to substitute for 1 lb. ground meat. Thank you for posting, Shannon.