Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I know shortbread is easily made vegan but for those who are worried about how vegan margarine will compete with butter - worry no more. This recipe I used made very buttery, not too sweet traditional shortbread.
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F.
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add sifted flour 1/4 cup at a time.
- Use hands to mix into a soft, smooth dough.
- With hands press into a 1-2cm thick rectangle and use sharp knife to cut into fingers.
- Use fork to make pretty shortbread holes.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- EXTRA NOTES:.
- This shortbread is not overly sweet - feel free to add another loosely packed TBS or 2 of brown sugar to the mix. Feel free to sprinkle granulated sugar on top before baking. Also depending on your oven cookies can be ready after only 15-20 minutes or can be cooked for up to 50 minutes (for extra crunch and with a very golden bottom). Keep an eye on shortbread for your preference.
Thanks - these were exactly what I was looking for. Added some fresh vanilla bean, but otherwise made them just as you said, and they were nice, traditional shortbread cookies.
was good but the cookies were a little too chewy and a tad too oily.
I made these this afternoon in oak and maple leaf shapes. I chose to make them thin so they came out crispy and a lovely golden colour. They are much like sugar cookies when like this. Next time I'm going to make them thicker. Very tasty, thanks for a very nice recipe!