I don't remember where I found the original recipe for this now, but I've changed it quite a bit to suit the flavours I like and I absolutely love it. I make it often and enjoy it with a nice green salad and tangy apple cider vinegar salad dressing. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 150 g shiitake mushrooms or 150 g oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 piece gingerroot, crushed (small knob)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, sliced and washed
- 1 -2 tablespoon tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
- 1 (300 g) packet regular firm tofu
- 250 g pumpkin, cubed
- 1 -2 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a small to medium sized baking dish with olive oil spray (I used a glass dish which gives great results).
- 2Fry sliced leek, crushed garlic and ginger in olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Add sliced mushrooms and fry until soft.
- 4Add cooked rice, tamari (to your taste - I prefer the 2 tablespoons), and poppy seeds.
- 5Stir together to heat through. Press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 6Cook and mash the pumpkin. Blend together with tofu, corriander, salt and pepper and a splash of soy milk. Spoon onto the rice mixture in the baking dish.
- 7Bake for about 20 minutes to heat through.
- 8Serve with green salad.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Shepherd's Pie (Sort Of)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 270.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: