Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I guess we can't really call it shepherd's pie because no sheep are involved! This is a delicious wintery vegan meal. You can use any combination of veggies, I wrote the recipe based on what my family likes best.
- 1 1⁄2-2 kg potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon margarine, vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Skin the potatoes if you like - I usually don't. Cut them into chunks and boil until they are ready for mashing - about 20 minutes. Mash them with the veggie broth and margarine until they have a good stiff consistency - you don't want them gluey.
- In a large pan or wok - I always use the wok - cook the onion about 4 minutes. Add the cumin and garlic and cook an additional minute. Add all the remaining fresh veggies and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add in the frozen veggies, the canned tomatoes and the salt. Stir to mix thoroughly and cook another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour the veggie mixture into a large baking pan - I use 9x13 inches. Carefully cover the top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the potatoes just start to brown.