Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a fabulous rendition of Shepherd's Pie... Very succulent and satisfying. Give it a try.
- 1 yam
- 4 zucchini, peeled
- 1 potato
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce skin of yam in several places and bake until tender; this will take about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove skin, mash and set aside.
- Cut zucchini into chunks and blend in a food processor to make zucchini milk and set aside.
- Dice potato and put in a pot and cover with cold water and boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the water.
- Mash the potato using whatever of the reserved potato water you need to make it fluffy and set aside.
- Heat oil and saute onion for about 2 minutes.
- Add the dried herbs and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with 1/2 cup of prepared zucchini milk.
- Stir well and continue to cook until the carrots are tender.
- Turn the vegetables into a casserole, not more than 3" deep.
- Spread mashed yams over the top and top them with the mashed potato.
- Bake until the topping is browned, about 30 minutes.
We added a packet of Boca burger crumbles to add the meaty taste to the Shepards Pie. We really liked the taste of this recipe.
All the tastes were amazing, mine came out a little dry though. I also changed the mash mix to cauliflower and sweet potato. I think next time I might add a tomato puree to the vegie mix and some chilli powder. Otherwise a great filling meal!