GE flowerchild's Note:
I was feeding meat eaters at my birthday party, and I wanted to cook something that wasn't very exotic, and something filling that they would like. This is what I came up with.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package quorn mince (chopped up mushrooms or another brand of fake ground beef would be fine)
- 1 large chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (if you aren't already using them instead of Quorn)
- 3 large approx baking potatoes (small red potatoes are especially good if you have them)
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine (earth balance non-hydrogenated margarine is good) or 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (earth balance non-hydrogenated margarine is good)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1Boil or microwave potatoes.
- 2Cook lentils in vegetable broth. Add in extra water if it needs it.
- 3As the lentils cook, cut up the onion, garlic, carrots, green beans (bite size), and mushrooms.
- 4Saute the onion and garlic for a minute or two then add the carrots and green beans.
- 5Add in Quorn, Worcestershire sauce, tamari, and tomatoes and continue to cook until the Quorn is completely thawed.
- 6Add black pepper and cooked lentils.
- 7Mash the potatoes with the rice milk and vegan margarine, or nutritional yeast. They should be almost runny.
- 8Pour filling into a large dutch oven and add potatoes on top.
- 9Sprinkle with paprika and bake, covered, at 375 degrees for approx 35 minutes (or until the green beans are cooked through. Much less time if you use canned green beans).
- 10Serve with fresh baked wheat rolls, and vegetables on the side. This makes enough food for an army, but it makes great leftovers.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.5
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 158.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian worcestershire sauce