Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
All vegans will appreciate this recipe. Not one sweet little animal was harmed making these! I love recipes like this, and had to pass it along. I hope you enjoy! 8)
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules
- 1⁄2 cup firm tofu, mashed up
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper, for taste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup wheat gluten flour or 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- In a bowl, pour the water and soy sauce over the TVP.
- When soft add the other ingredients except the gluten and mix well.
- When the mixture is cooled, add the gluten flour.
- Mix well with your hands and form into 10 thin patties (I get 5).
- Steam-fry in two batches in a heavy skillet sprayed with PAM until firm and browned, 7-10 minutes per side.
- These can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.
- I place them on a baking sheet and freeze them and then place them all in a freezer bag.
- For a quick sandwich, put them in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, depending on the microwave, then make a sandwich with your favorite additions.
- In a bowl, pour the water & soy sauce over the TVP.
- When soft, add other ingredients (except the gluten) and mix well.
- When the mixture is cooled, add in the gluten flour.
- With your hands, mix well, forming into 10 thin patties (or 5).
- In a heavy skillet, spray with PAM.
- In 2 batches, steam fry until browned & firm, 7-10 minutes per side.
- You may use right away, or store in the freezer for other occasions!
- These can be refrigerated or frozen, carefully, for later use.
These were very good, but I added some sugar-free maple syrup to make them a bit sweeter. I also upped the soy sauce. Still very good though! Thank you for sharing this recipe.
These turned out all right but they're lacking something in the spice department that I just can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the fennel snickels mentioned. Also a little on the chewy side. Could have used a little more liquid on the TVP i think. Definately worth fiddling with some more though. Thanks Ocean Ivy!