Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this up with your favorite fresh made biscuits and it will have you thinking of the South! From erinwyso and the blog Olives for Dinner. Enjoy ya'll(Hey, I grew up in the south!)
- 3⁄4 cup homemade vegetable stock (or Imagine brand No-Chicken broth)
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shiitake mushroom caps, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 dashes liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup homemade stock or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup imagine brand no-chicken broth
- freshly cracked and coarsely ground black pepper
- Place the broth into a small saucepan and add in the TVP. Heat over medium-low until until it starts to simmer. Turn off the heat and allow the TVP to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet. Add in the shallots and saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and shiitake mushrooms. Allow the ingredients to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add in the TVP and stir to combine. Simmer until most of the moisture has evaporated, then add in the sage, fennel seeds and basil. Stir again. Add in the soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and adjust any seasonings as needed. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- To make the gravy, rinse the soaked cashews in a sieve with plenty of cold water. Transfer to a blender and add enough water to almost cover the cashews. Puree until smooth, adding a bit more water as needed to make the mixture smooth but not watery.
- In a medium-sized saute pan, melt the Earth Balance over medium-low heat. Add in the flour and stir to combine. Transfer the cashew creme to the pan and stir well. Add in the broth and lots of cracked pepper. Add salt to taste. Add a little more broth if needed to thin it out or to taste. Allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve the gravy and hash immediately with freshly made biscuits.