Recipe by whatsforsupper
Needed a vegan savoury sauce to top a lasagne, this isn't white but does taste nice. May need to add extra milk to make it runnier if using with no-cook lasagne sheets as they absorb a lot of fluid.
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 large button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1⁄3 teaspoon sea salt
- 2⁄3 teaspoon cornflour (maize flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onion in oil until soft, not brown. Add mushrooms and fry all until browned.
- In a separate jug, mix corn flour with two tablespoons of the milk.
- Slowly add the rest of the milk trying to avoid lumps.
- When smooth pour into saucepan with the onions and mushrooms.
- Keep the heat very low stirring (or whisking) steadily until thickened (don't let it thicken too quickly - give the flavours time to blend).
- Add salt to taste.