Recipe by tendollarwine
I never thought that sauerkraut would be good in a pasta dish, but after trying this out, I proved myself wrong! This is a great, heardy, tangy dish that any kraut-lover will surely enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb campanelle pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add the sauerkraut and sauté until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and seasonings, stir, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the noodles until al dente. Drain, return to the pot, and toss with some olive oil.
- Pour in the sauce and toss with the pasta.
- Optional: Drain, slice, and fry tofu with the sauerkraut for added protein.