One of the islands that makes up Samoa is called "American Samoa". Chop suey is not a Chinese dish! It's an American Chinese dish, and, apparently - a Samoan staple! From Gormandize.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegan beef stock powder (can use Beef Style Seasoning(Or Chicken Style))
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 ounces mung bean vermicelli (sometimes also called cellophane or glass noodles)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, sliced
- 1 bunch Broccolini, cut into 3/4-inch lengths (or broccoli)
- 1/2 cup vegan beef stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 1Crumble the tofu into a bowl. Stir the stock powder into the 1/4 cup hot water and add the soy sauce. Stir this through the crumbled tofu and set aside to absorb the flavour.
- 2Remove the noodles from the packet and soak in cold water (for about 10-15 minutes, while you get the rest of the dish together).
- 3Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok. Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté until the onion is cooked.
- 4Add the marinated crumbled tofu and any remaining liquid in the bowl. Cook until any liquid is dissolved, at least 5 minutes.
- 5Add all the vegetables and the beef stock, soy sauce and ketcap manis. Simmer until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has reduced to about half.
- 6Drain the noodles that you've been soaking in cold water and throw them in the wok. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are cooked and hopefully by this stage you shouldn't have too much liquid left in the wok. I recommend serving immediately - if you leave it hot in the wok the noodles will overcook and break up a lot (not that this matters very much!).
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Sapasui (Samoan Chop Suey)
Serving Size: 1 (1177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.6
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1668.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: