1/1 Photo of Vegan Reuben Sandwiches
This was one of my favorite things that my dad made growing up. This vegan version is pretty darn close to how tasty his were.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make vegan thousand island dressing, mix 1/2 c ketchup with 1/2 c vegan mayonnaise and 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish and chill.
- 2Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add garlic and a few pepper corns to the oil. Sauté for a minute or two, then lay slices of the seitan on top. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes, or until brown. Keep warm in the oven.
- 3Once the seitan is cooked, add the other tbsp of oil to the pan along with the rest of the pepper corns and sauerkraut. Sauté until the kraut is softened and fragrant. Turn the heat off.
- 4In another large pan, melt 1/2 tbsp of margarine over medium-low heat. Add two slices of rye bread to the pan. On each slice, lay down a couple pieces of seitan, pile on some sauerkraut, pour on some thousand island, and top with the soy cheese.
- 5Butter another piece of rye bread and lay it on top, buttered side up. When the bottom bread is toasted, carefully flip the sandwiches over and toast the other side. Keep warm in the oven while you make the other 2 batches.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Reuben Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.2
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 990.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soy mozzarella cheese