I've never looked at a recipe for refried beans, and I've never attempted to make them before. So with this recipe, I was just wingin' it and they turned out rather tasty. Adjust flavors with some jalapenos, chili powder, or whatever you like. If the color throws you (it is rather dark), use kidney or pinto beans.
- Pour the beans in a food processor and pulse to blend.
- Once most of the beans are mashed up, keep the processor running and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and let the beans blend for at least 3 minutes, making sure it's nice and smooth.
- Scrape the beans into a small saucepan and place over low heat, stirring often, until the beans are warmed through.
- Taste to adjust for more salt or pepper.
- Serve hot with tortialla chips or Spanish rice as a side, or smear into a tortilla with some veggies for a burrito -- or just eat them right out of the pot.